Monday, March 22, 2010

SURPRISE!!

SURPRISED is a good way to describe the way most were feeling on August 8, 2009. Why?!? It happens to be the day that Nolen and I announced we were getting married. When?!? That night let me tell you, haha more than most didn’t even know we were talking let alone dating. Although many are interested in our wedding day, some still haven’t heard our story, so here it is…the details can be boring and long so ill make it simple!
February 1999 We met (some time during that year we were each others first kiss), we went to middle school together but lost touch in high school. On May 15 2009 Nolen found me and befriended me on facebook and we started to catch up via facebook and then eventually on the phone. Our phone conversations could last through the night, some 4 hrs others were 6 hrs, we had so much to say to one another I guess. He told me of how he joined the military and that in September 2009 he was being deployed to Iraq. He was in WA, stationed at Fort Lewis and was coming home on leave August 1-10th 2009. He made me promise him a date when he was home. I told him I wasn’t interested in dating and I only wanted to be friends, but I would agree to ONE date, he said ok. But somewhere down the road (within about 2 months) that changed. We fell in love and were talking about getting married during his leave. We did however acknowledge the fact that our relationship had grown over the phone and that it was possible when he was home and in person we would not feel the same way about one another. But when August 1, 2009 came that wasn’t the case. I loved him, I loved him. We went ring shopping (still no one knew how serious we were) but couldn’t agree on one. We did find a cheap fake one that we both liked and so he secretly bought it…proposed…and as a joke we went to his dads house and “announced our engagement” (this was after he was home for a few days). By Friday August 7th rumor was that we were either secretly married or engaged. By then we were really neither. We had gone to visit his mother in Covina for the day and she showed her support in our “marriage” so we decided why not…if we know we love each other then this would be the perfect time as any to get married. (don’t worry, we made mental lists of the pros and cons about tieing the knot before he was deployed) SATURDAY AUGUST 8 2009 around 10 am we sat down with my parents and told them the news. They had some questions but were very supportive. We had a wedding to plan and only 9 hours to plan it. Everyone had jobs, mine and Nolens-the marriage license, aunt karens and aunt Getta-food and hotel, dad and sisters-clean up the house, mom and aunt Leasa-the details. Everything went smoothly! We got the license no problem, the place was set and so was the bishop, the food was ordered and the house was clean. My mom went with me and Nolen to Kohls to get something to wear and buy wedding bands. I called my friend Steph to do my hair (which she was able to thank goodness) and we were all set to go J On August 8 2009 Nolen Ryan Alatorre and Lauren Michelle Johnson were married at the Long Beach Institute by Bishop Glen Farnsworth. It was an intimate wedding with close friends and family. After the ceremony and some pictures we went back to my house for food. My aunts had booked us a hotel room for 2 nights at the Island hotel at Fashion Island. Some girls dream of a fairy tale wedding and might think that our quick small wedding was missing out on that opportunity, but it was perfect. I couldn’t have asked for anything more. After all, the purpose of getting married is to make the commitment to your significant other isn’t it?!?! And isn’t that what we did?!?! I love Nolen more than anything and still have the temple to look forward to! However, unlike most brides at the end of the honeymoon I had to say good bye to my hubby. He was returning back to WA to prepare for deployment the next month.

On August 28-30 2009 I was able to go to WA to visit. And then again one last time September 18-20 2009. We had a blast. We went to the Puyallup Fair with another soldier in Nolen’s unit and his wife and had so much fun. Going back home was the hardest thing knowing I would not be able to see Nolen for about 6 months.







2nd visit to WA, i wsa able to try on Nolen's gear
Me and Nolen at the Puyallup fair, WA

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the story! I've been wanting to ask you for the whole thing but we always see each other in short little bursts!

    ReplyDelete